Aahh…my shoulders relax, I draw a deep breath and smile. I have finally exhaled. A project that has been shaping for months has now taken form.
For those who don’t know, my name is Nicole D. Hayes. Click on the “About” tab to learn my background and beliefs.
What is “Voices Against the Grain”?
“Voices Against the Grain” is a blog and weekly online radio show (show starts Wednesday, September 4!) daringly designed for audiences to learn and share how to advance God’s Kingdom in a “do your own thing,” consensus society. We challenge the status quo. We do not conform to the norm. We will feature conversations from everyday people to celebrities and other figures who are operating in obedience to God’s Word in a challenging world. These special voices are thankfully “too bold to leave His work in their lives untold.” In a world of unrelenting changes, there is One whose Word, whose promises, and whose authority remains unchanged: Jesus Christ.
How Did the Project Start?
I spent months quietly gaining clarity and discernment from the Holy Spirit on how He would have me to serve as a vessel to distribute light, salt and truth into this confused and dark world. I wrote notes on what He was pouring into my spirit, still uncertain of the platform or vehicle in which to deliver “this” effort. Since May 2012, God has placed me in spaces to deliver bold messages. While sometimes uncomfortable, it has become 100% freeing. To straddle and shape-shift more than three decades of living between the politically correct and sharing God’s truth for me is exhausting, brings feelings of constraint and forces tweaked messages for various audiences to keep everyone smiling and at ease. I’ve lived for God since age 12, increasingly so—but not in every space can you speak openly about “God” or “Jesus Christ.”
God has continued to “push me out front,” as a mouthpiece for Him, increasing my boldness. I could ask, “Why me?,” though I know He has equipped and authorized me for this position. It was during a mid-March 2013 conversation in my dentist’s chair that something definitive clicked in my spirit to inform and shape the contours of “this.” My dentist (who is Christian), she and I spoke sadly about various celebrities and media that have negatively influenced our way of interacting with one another. How does one successfully navigate in a society that packages and perpetuates various deceptions to make people “feel good”? And what if you don’t support the world’s deceptions? Will you be considered to lack morals to do what is good for all mankind? If you’re not part of the “get along gang,” will you be viewed as inharmonious to the collective impulses of society? Hmm…maybe we’re onto something here.
My dentist ultimately desired to see a platform created for people whose daily living honors God so others would know and be encouraged that such role models exist. That they need not turn to worldly celebrities whose lifestyles suggests freedom but are actually warped and wrapped by untold bondages. My dentist asked me, “How can we be a voice to inform those people who truly want to live free and not feel they must conform to society’s values?”
Therefore, I introduce to you, “Voices Against the Grain.”
Why is a Platform like “Voices Against the Grain” Necessary?
As my dear friend Hakim would say, “Because you need to know.” God has made His Word known to us, for those willing to hear. He desires we know these things about life so not to be fearful or surprised—but to be prepared, respond accordingly and remain in peace while doing so. As Jesus said in John 16:33 (New International Version): “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
Key Objectives for “Voices Against the Grain” Blog and Radio Show:
- To Bring Clarity and Restoration from Deception. God’s Word is a sword that will cut to the deepest places, bringing undeniable truth to those willing to receive it and to those seeking healing and true freedom, true love and true peace. His Word blows away the fog so ultimately, confusion is removed and clarity and restoration can occur.
- To Educate and Equip. We share God’s truth for abundant living to help you successfully navigate in an ever-changing world with a God who is forever constant. God’s Word is not subject to consensus or vote, as in democratic societies.
- To Encourage. Through stories shared by other believers, we encourage others to know they are not in this struggle alone—and with God, we are never alone.
- To Love in Truth. We are committed to showing love while sharing the truth; our intent is not to disparage anyone—only to disparage Satan and his counterfeit schemes. This is not to say the truth won’t hurt and won’t punch you. It may. How much truth can you take? We will love you in the process. He has loved us in truth and we extend the same to you.
Curious what we will discuss? Seeking truth amidst confusion? We’ll discuss hot topics such as (but not limited to):
- God’s design for relationships, marriage and sex
- Relationship Identifiers: Fruit-bearers or extractors?
- U.S. and world policies that will enslave
- Successful business leaders who don’t cut corners
- Waiting on God in a “need it now” world
- Unraveling false belief systems
- Helping young people thrive with God in a confused world
- Religion and Doctrine vs. Relationship with God
- “Yellow Pages Christianity”
- What is God doing today
- Understanding the enemy’s strategies
- “Can I just be a ‘good’ person?”
- Being a lamp on the hill in a world controlled by darkness
- Navigating through politically correct systems and workplaces
- Enjoying real peace, and more
I invite you to read our blog. Visit the “Radio Show” tab and listen starting Wednesday, September 4! Our “Bold Voices” tab will direct you to the testimonies from our featured bloggers and show guests. Their candid stories will inspire and reassure you we all have a bold journey to walk out and can do so triumphantly with God. None of us started with God. Some thought they were happily living the world’s promises until the world left them ‘wrecked’ and empty. God restored them. Now knowing the truth, they boldly press forward. They are lampstands on a hill lighting the way for others trapped in confusion and darkness.
We’re excited you’re here. Please also tell us what topics you want to learn about. Thank you and welcome to “Voices Against the Grain,” where we are “too bold to leave His work untold.” We look forward to interacting with you. Thank you to everyone who has prayed for and supported me in this effort.
Thank you for leading us in this journey!
Thank you Irma!
I’m excited about another one of your endeavors. God has gifted you in writing. I’m so glad your using it for Kingdom business. I look forward to hearing new venture. Gods Speed!
Thank you Makeba! God is good! I still have you and the little one on my list to send a gift. Will get it in the mail. 🙂 Blessings.