Minister Dracy Jenkins, Devotional Writer
Absolutely one of my favorite scriptures to stand on when I am struggling with making a decision or when my well-laid plans have come up empty. It’s interesting that no matter how it’s translated, a few things stand out to me:
1. God knows! I don’t, but God does. I am so thankful that He does. So what does He know? His thoughts and His plans for me/us.
2. God says/declares! Hallelujah! When God speaks, it is so, it is done! You can take what He says to the bank, to the boardroom, to the doctor, to the courtroom. You can especially take what God says or declares to the most important place of all…the mirror. (I’ll let that one sink in for a minute.)
3. God’s thoughts/plans for me/us is for our good and NOT for our harm. Let me repeat the last part…NOT FOR OUR HARM.
4. So then, what does it mean when bad things happen to us? When our plans don’t turn out the way we wanted them to? What it simply means is that points 1, 2 and 3 are STILL in effect! Our circumstances, our plans, our situations does not change the facts that God knows, God has said and declared and that His thoughts and plans are for our good…period! Now the final point from this scripture:
5. Everything God has done and is doing is to give us hope for the future. The future that He has prepared for us. To be with Him for all eternity.
No the journey is not smooth and laid out with roses and a sweet smell. I have not read in God’s Word where He has said or declared that it would be. But His Word is filled with a hope and a love that tells us that He longs for us to love Him, to trust Him and to depend solely upon Him.
I don’t know what tomorrow may bring. I may be told that my job has been eliminated and my services are no longer needed. The doctor may tell me that the pain I have in my body means that I have only a few days left to live. No matter what bad news may come, it will never change the fact that God is bigger and greater than anything we will face in life. It will not change the fact that God is the creator of all and He alone is in Charge! He sits on the throne of glory and Christ is at His right hand.
We can make all the plans we want, and believe me I have made many. But if they do not line up with what our Heavenly Father has put into place, we will never achieve the fullness of life that God has prepared for us. Now here’s the final piece of the puzzle for you this morning. WE must decide if what God has planned for us is satisfactory. Is it okay that what God thinks is good for us, is acceptable? Isn’t that absolutely crazy when you think about us deciding if what God wants for us is acceptable? ( Lord, please forgive me for my foolish thinking.)
Here’s a thought to consider and maybe for us to declare today: Lord, I want to know your ways and will for my life above all else. And then, to have the faith to walk in the way you desire for me.
I like quoting Jeremiah 29:11. But if you go down to verse 13, you will understand the key to God’s declaration.
Jeremiah 29:13NKJV 13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.
It is easy to place our plans in front of God and beg and/or demand that He approves them. But if there is one thing I have come to learn in my limited time here is that it’s not about my plans. It’s not about what I want. It’s solely about what God has ordained, through His Word and Will for me.
Yes, I/we have been allowed to choose which plans to go after. Ours or God’s. Think about it and choose wisely.
Thank you Lord. You have been there for us, even when we have not realized it. You know our coming and our going and you have prepared the perfect path for us to travel. We thank you that when we get off this path, the Holy Spirit guides us back to it. We desire, want and need so much. Help us to realize that all we need is You. Let the light of your love shine in and through us today. We sing praises of your goodness and mercy today. Thank you Lord for everything. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.